Sera Monastery is one of the “great three” Gelug university monasteries of Tibet with the Drepung Monastery and the Ganden Monastery in the early fifteenth century. The monastery was named Sera which means wild rose in the Tibetan language, because the hill behind it was covered with wild roses in bloom when it was built. Sera Monastery is located 2 km north of Lhasa and occupying an area of 114,946 square meters. Sera was established by Jamchen Choje Sakya Yeshe in 1419 on the request of his teacher Je Tsong Khapa.
The Sera Monastery, as a complex of structures with the Great Assembly Hall & three colleges, was discovered in 1419 by Jamchen Chojey of Sakya Yeshe of Zel Gungtang (1355–1435), a disciple of Je Tsongkhapa.