Tsurphu Monastery

Tsurphu Monastery: the monastery which served as the traditional seat of the Karmapa.

It is located in Gurum town, 70 km from Lhasa. The monastery is about 14,000 feet (4,300 m) above sea level. It is built in the middle of the valley facing south with high mountains surrounding the monastery complex. Tsurphu was founded by the first Karmapa in 1159, he laid the foundation for an establishment of a seat there by making offerings to the local protectors. The monastery grew to hold 1000 monks. It was totally destroyed in 1966 during the Cultural Revolution but was rebuilt in 1980 by the 16th Karmapa.